Tag Archive: Rawlings VELO
The Rawlings Velo is probably one of the most loved and versatile bats by Rawlings. Recently, the company launched the 2017 edition of its highly successful bat. Several characteristics make the 2017 Velo better than its predecessors. Let’s find out what this BBCOR-certified bat has to offer (click here to see Best BBCOR Bats of 2017) .
2017 Rawlings Velo Overview
Velo is a one-piece alloy construction BBCOR bat. Although more expensive than other one-piece aluminum bats, this one is characterized by an excellent price to quality ratio.
Over the years, Velo has gained a reputation of being one of the lightest and fastest BBCOR bats out there. The 2017 edition doesn’t disappoint and these paramount characteristics are maintained. Apart from featuring one of the loudest alloys out there for an excellent ping, the bat also comes with Rawlings POP 2.0 technology. This technology improves the balance of the bat and maximizes the sweet spot.
In addition, the bat features a Silver Comp Lite composite end cap. The cap that is fiber reinforced will improve the balance of the bat even further by removing the unnecessary weight from the end portion of the barrel.
Where to buy the Rawlings VELO?
I looked at several places for the best price on the Rawlings VELO. We found that for older models that eBay was the best place to look.
Several other noteworthy 2017 Rawlings Velo technical specs include the following:
- A -3 length to weight ratio
- 2 5/8 inch diameter of the barrel
- A well-balanced bat that is quite versatile
- Acoustic aluminum alloy for a louder ping
- Increased flex and pop through design enhancements
- A 12-month manufacturer warranty
People who have already tested the 2017 Rawlings Velo are more than happy to share their positive experiences with the world:
- Extremely well balanced: of all the BBCOR bats out there, this one ranks among the lightest and best balanced items. The bat is comfortable to grip and it will send the ball a long distance away.
- Great sound: the acoustic alloy that the company used is doing an excellent job in terms of making the bat distinctively loud. Apart from producing a great sound, the aluminum is also incredibly durable and long-lived.
- POP 2.0 technology: in essence, the technology refers to internal grooves within the barrel of the bat. The grooves don’t have an impact on the durability of the bat but they increase the lightness and also have a positive effect on the size of the sweet spot.
- Composite end cap: the composite end cap is another very smart feature. It contributes to the even and effective distribution of the weight, enhancing the balance of the BBCOR bat even further. No other single piece aluminum bat comes with the same clever design feature.
- Great grip: the design of the handle and the material that it is covered with both contribute to an excellent grip throughout the game.
- A wonderful price to quality ratio: while this one-piece aluminum BBCOR bat is a bit more expensive than its counterparts, the durability and the design innovations justify the expenditure.
A Few Shortcomings
The negative experiences with the new edition of the most popular Rawlings bat aren’t that many. A few shortcomings mentioned in buyer testimonials include the following:
- Loudness: while some people do enjoy the loudness of the acoustic alloy, others seem to be irritated by it.
- Not suitable for players interested in a top heavy bat: while balanced bats are incredibly versatile, some players will simply be in need of a more specialized solution. This item isn’t the right one for them.
- Getting used to the lightness will require a bit of time: players that have previously used a heavier bat (and let’s face it – most BBCOR aluminum bats are heavier than Rawlings Velo) will need some time to adjust. A few games will be required to get used to the feel of this piece.
There is a reason why Rawlings Velo is such a popular BBCOR bat. It is lightweight, it is well-made and it comes with an excellent price to quality ratio. The bat corresponds to the needs of a wide array of players and it is very versatile.
The shortcomings mentioned in this review don’t really interfere with the performance of the bat or the experience of the hitter. Thus, if you want the best that the one-piece alloy market has to offer, you should definitely give this option a try.