Tag Archive: bat by Louisville Slugger
Louisville Slugger is one of the most recognizable names in the world of high quality baseball bats. Of all the brand’s developments, the 917 Prime range is its top performer. The 2017 Louisville Slugger 917 Prime BBCOR bat is not an exception.
Several characteristics determine the stellar performance of this bat and justify its relatively high price tag. Let’s take a look at these features together (click here to see Best BBCOR Bats of 2017).
Where to buy the Slugger 917 Prime?
Best place to find good pricing on the 917 Prime, now that it is off of MAP, is on eBay. When I looked while writing this post, there were a few fantastic deals for new in wrapper bats. Always be mindful if the bats come with real receipts.
2017 Louisville Slugger 917 Prime Overview
Louisville Slugger’s new Prime BBCOR bat is very different from everything else you’ll find on the market. Rather than being a one or two-piece bat, this one is a three-piece BBCOR-certified baseball item.
There are several improvements and changes that make the bat different from the 916 Prime. The bat has a bigger, extended barrel that doesn’t interfere with the lightness of the swing. According to the manufacturer, this characteristic makes the bat equally suitable for the needs of power and contact hitters.
The composite bat features Louisville Slugger’s MicroForm material that is patented due to the fused carbon structure that it features. The aim of the structure is to increase the pop and to maximize the sweet spot of the bad.
Several other great features worth mentioning include:
- -3 length to weight ratio
- 2 5/8 inch barrel diameter
- Balanced swing weight
- Lizard skin grip that increases comfort and gives the person holding the bat more control
- TRU3 with dynamic socket connections that reduce vibrations throughout the three-piece construction of the bat
- 12-month warranty
People who have already bought and used the BBCOR bat by Louisville Slugger mention the following among its biggest advantages:
- Lightweight and balanced: regardless of the fact that it has an entirely composite construction, the bat is lightweight and balanced for optimal performance.
- Lots of pop: it seems that Louisville Slugger’s fused carbon structure is serving the purpose that it’s been chosen for. Most customer reviews point out the excellent pop that the bat is capable of producing.
- Speed enhancement: light and balanced, the bat enhances significantly the speed of the swing and contributes to technique improvements.
- Improved sweet spot: in comparison to the 2016 edition of the Louisville Slugger Prime BBCOR bat, this one delivers noticeable improvements in terms of sweet spot size. The new composite material used is the one that contributes to the increase in sweet spot length. In addition, the bat features a better connective piece than the 916 Prime and is more capable of reducing vibrations.
A Few Shortcomings
There are numerous great things about the 2017 Louisville Slugger 917 Prime BBCOR bat. The shortcomings aren’t that many but they’re still worth mentioning:
- A bit expensive: just like other composite bats, this one is on the expensive side. Thus, the piece of equipment is mostly suitable for use by older players who are already showing some promise in terms of a baseball career.
- Grip tightening required: several reviewers report that after several uses, the grip is starting to come off. The issue can be fixed through manual tightening but this can be an annoying issue for serious hitters.
- Some issues with handle durability: only a few players report experiencing handle breakage problems (both with the 916 and the 917 editions of the bat). The experience isn’t a widespread one and it could potentially refer to a faulty item or a misuse of the bat.
- Similar to the 2016 916 Prime: apart from the sweet spot enhancement, the new bat has lots of similarities with the previous edition. People who are looking for ways to get quality and enjoy a reduced price may want to opt for the 2016 Prime BBCOR bat.
There are many reasons why Louisville Slugger bats are so popular. The company sticks to traditions but isn’t afraid to experiment with functional innovations either. This balance is the one that has drawn so many people to the Prime range of BBCOR bats.
With a massive sweet spot enhancement, the 917 Prime bat is definitely worth a try. Keep in mind, however, that this bat is more expensive than other high quality items that the market features. The 917 Prime is mostly suitable for use by older players who have a well-developed technique and a potential for growth in the world of baseball.