Easton XL3 -5
The trick with this bat is that because it’s a one piece alloy, the bat is designed with a Easton XL3 in mind which increases bat speed exponentially but thanks to the XL factor, the plate coverage players are able to receive with this bat is phenomenal.
Easton has converted the XL into now the Easton Mako XL in which it doubles down on that last aspect (plate coverage).
By virtue of its nature, the Mako already has an enlarged barrel – now add to that the XL factor and you get a very large sweet spot.
The caveat, though, is that the Mako series does not yet have an alloy bat so lighter (contact) hitters might suffer in the bat speed department if they do make the switch.
Easton XL3 Bat Technology
- HyperLite Matrix Alloy Barrel
- Alloy barrels come hot right out of the wrapper with little to no breaking in period. This is great if you’re buying a bat for the upcoming season and can’t sit around waiting for it to be game ready.
- Also, the HyperLite Matrix Alloy strengthens as time passes. This means that as you start getting comfortable with the bat, its performance also improves simultaneously.
- Extra-Long Barrel
- The USP (unique selling point) of the XL series is its extra-long barrel.
- This element allows players to enjoy a greater amount of plate coverage and an enlarged sweet spot. This is great for power hitters as Roger Maris said in the movie 61*:
- “The difference between a fly out to right field and a home run is one eighth of an inch on the barrel of the bat”.
- The XL Barrel gives players this advantage over pitchers.
- Ultra-Thin Handle
- The ultra thin handle is great for players that love to grip the bat strongly with their knuckles. I’ve personally found this helps with in freeing up movement for my wrists.
This is a great bat for lighter hitters looking for more plate coverage in their swing without having to compromise their bat speed. The one piece alloy construction and the low MO.I. design aid tremendously in generating tremendous bat speed while the XL helps in adding the plate coverage.
Overall, great bat.