The Easton Mako TORQ has made a huge splash since its inception 2014 and it’s one of the hottest big barrel bats in the market. It’s made the Mako series one of the most popular around and right up there with DeMarini’s Voodoo and Louisville Slugger’s Prime.
But first let’s address the elephant in the room: can the TORQ handle help or damage your swing? Well, that’s up to personal preference.
For instance, I like to choke on the bat and I grip it in a rather unorthodox way. Somewhat similar to Dustin Pedroia, so the torq handle doesn’t necessarily feel optimal to me.
But for someone who likes to grip the bat at the knob and has a more traditional hold on it, it might actually be beneficial. Seeing as the spinning torq would put your hands at a naturally strong power position for hard and solid contact.
If you’re interested – here’s the eBay Listing with the best pricing option online.
With that said, let’s get into the actual specs of this bat.
Easton Mako TORQ Bat Technology
- TCT™ Thermo Composite Technology
- Fully composite build, Easton users their powerful TCT™ composite technology to produce hot bats with ultra responsive barrels that shoots baseballs into the outfield.
- It creates a trampoline effect at contact by maintaining energy contained within the barrel and releasing it when the bat hits the ball.
- 360 Torq™ Technology
- As we talked about before, this bat features the TORQ technology that aims to put players at a power position more consistently.
- Additionally, this can set up the correct bio-mechanics for the future through muscle memory. As players make the switch over to wood bats they will naturally put themselves in the correct hand position as their muscles will trigger this motion automatically.
- ConneXion Piece
- The CXN Piece improves comfort and feel at the plate by reducing vibration and bat sting. Players can attack the ball aggressively without fearing getting stung by a mishit ball.
Overall, a great bat for younger players to help them establish healthy hitting habits at an early age which will set them up for long-term success. Great for power hitters with a bit of a budget to work with.
The Easton S2 is a two piece hybrid construction big barrel bat optimized for speed as being part of the Easton (S) series.
It is part alloy and part composite with a 2 5/8″ barrel and is USSSA 1.15 BPF Certified.
The speed series by Easton is designed for maximum bat speed with a big barrel to also provide players with optimal pop at the plate. The ultra thin handle on this bat makes it incredibly easy to wrap your knuckles around for mobility and maximal strength.
A low M.O.I design for greater control and speed through the hitting zone.
Here’s the eBAy Listing with the best pricing option.
Let’s look at some of the specs of this bat.
Easton S2 Bat Technology
- HMX™ Hyperlite Matrix Alloy Barrel
- The Hyperlite Matrix Alloy comes hot right out of the wrapper and ready for in game use.
- Strengthens with time and produces more power as players start to get comfortable with it.
- Extended durability and optimized for energy transfer, keeps the momentum inside the barrel for greater launch speeds.
- SIC™ Black Carbon Handle
- Composite handle with vibration-reducing properties for more comfort and better feel at the plate.
- 29/32″ Handle with 1.2mm HyperSkin™ grip
- Ultra thin with one of the most comfortable and popular grips in the game.
- This bat is optimized for maximum comfort and bat speed through the zone, all very important aspects of hitting.
- ConneXion Technology
- Connective piece at the center of the bat which helps in the aforementioned energy transfer and reduction of bat sting. Helps players attack the ball confidently without having to fear getting their hands shaken up by a mishit ball.
Overall this is one of the better hybrid bats out there for its price point. Other choices could be the Select or the Voodoo Raw. However, if you’re not someone working with a huge budget – this bat is an equally great choice.
The Rawlings Velo is one of the fastest swings senior league bats as of today. It’s a one piece alloy construction with a balanced build for an incredibly low moment-of-inertia and blazing bat speed.
I dare say it’s probably top 3 in the bat speed department for bats this year, if not at the very top. Rivaled only by the likes of the Omaha 515, the CAT 6 and the Vexxum.
What makes this bat particularly stand out is that Rawlings is known for producing one of the strongest alloys in the game. Giving the VELO a bit of an edge over the rest of the bats.
However, the real difference comes in the actual specs which we’ll be getting into soon.
But right here is the Best Pricing Option Online as per our research.
Rawlings Velo Bat Technology
- High Strength VELO
- As I stated before, the Velo material that Rawlings uses for this bat is incredibly strong.
- Comes hot right out of the wrapper. Little to no breaking in period needed for this bat.
- It also strengthens with time as the barrel becomes stiffer.
- The real edge on this bat comes in the form of the strength of the alloy. Incredibly so for the Rawlings Velo, probably top 3 in the industry if not the very best.
- Comp-Lite End Cap
- The End Cap on this bat creates for a very balanced swing and a smooth path to the ball. Players can enjoy more control and speed through the hitting zone which are imperative aspects of a proper hitting mechanic.
- Low M.O.I Design
- The reason for this bat’s swing speed is the low M.O.I design which creates an incredibly balanced bat.
- As the player swings, the balance point (or the gravity center) of the bat stays in the middle and the barrel feels lighter. This allows players to exert greater force and control through the zone.
- Heavier bats can actually feel incredibly light with this type of design.
- Balanced Construction
This bat is greater for lighter hitters (such as the top of the line-up type) looking for a bat that allows them to make solid contact more often and also improve their bat speed dramatically.
I myself am a huge fan of such bats. I used the Rawlings 5150 throughout high school and was able to enjoy greater success than when I used end-loaded composite bats.
Either way, this is a great choice.
The DeMarini Vexxum is the light swinging two hybrid construction bat installment of DeMarini’s senior league bats lineup.
There’s the two piece composite CF8, the two piece hybrid Voodoo Raw and then there’s the NVS Vexxum.
This bat is designed with a low M.O.I in mind with an overall physical construction made for maximum bat speed, optimal balance and control through the hitting zone.
By keeping the balance point of the bat centered in the middle, this bat is able to blaze through the hitting zone with relative ease – thus, the name “New Velocity System”.
The Voodoo and the CF are known for being power producing bats. The Voodoo featuring a slight-end load with an alloy barrel, and the CF for having a massive barrel with an enhanced sweet spot.
On the other hand, the Vexxum promises bat speed and balance – perfect for contact and slap hitters looking to put ’em where they ain’t.
Here’s the eBay Best Price Listing with the best pricing options online.
With all that said and done – let’s get into the specs of this bat.
DeMarini NVS Vexxum Bat Technology
- New NVS (New Velocity System) Barrel Design
- A huge factor behind this bat’s phenomenal success is the geometrical design of the barrel of the bat that allows it to contain incredible bat speed with the maximum amount of the power.
- This is what separates the NVS from most of the one piece alloy bats in the industry – its barrel design.
- X12 Alloy Barrel
- Incredibly strong and responsive alloy barrel. Stiffens with time and comes hot right out of the wrapper.
- This alloy allows DeMarini to maintain very thin walls within the barrel without compromising power, which is a huge factor for how this bat produces incredible bat speed through the zone.
- C6 Composite Handle
- The C6 Composite Handle promises comfort and balance at the plate which is great for hitters looking to make consistent contact with the ball.
- Low Profile D Cap
- Improves balance and creates a balanced swing at the plate.
- Also absorbs and eliminates vibration from the hitter’s hands. This will allow players to swing confidently at the plate without fearing having their hands shaken up.
Overall, this bat is for players looking to maximize their swing speed while making hard – solid contact with the ball. It’s one of the top 3 fastest swings in the market as of today.
Rivaled only by the likes of the Omaha and the CAT 6 though they all have some major differences between them.
The 2016 Easton MAKO XL (formerly the XL1) is a two piece composite, mean power-hitting senior league bat with some of the most potent technology to date.
The Mako series is known for having an enlarged barrel (when compared to other bats in the industry), now on top of that add the extra-long barrel design from the XL and you get a disgustingly powerful bat.
This is specifically designed for power hitters to gain more plate coverage, power and pop in their swing. Everything they need. At this point, Easton is just stacking unfair advantages until the Mako becomes an overwhelming advantage over hitters.
This is only one benefit among the slew of features this bat has.
Here you can find the eBay Listing w/ Best Price with the best pricing option on the ‘net.
But without further ado, let’s get into some of the specs.
Easton Mako XL Bat Technology
- Thermo Composite Technology
- The TCT™ Barrel Technology makes for an extremely hot barrel, the Mako has become one of the most popular bats due to its ability to produce massive pop at the plate.
- It also aids in maintaining the bat speed relatively high despite having a massive sweet spot and plate coverage which is great for going yard.
- Extra Long Barrel Design
- As mentioned before, an XL barrel for incredible plate coverage, make solid contact more often and focus on hitting the ball hard. The XL aids in enhancing the sweet spot and giving players a little bigger margin of error to make solid contact.
- ConneXion Piece
- The CXN Piece eliminates vibration from the equation and improves comfort and feel massively.
- This gives players the much appreciated confidence to swing at the ball hard with no fear of getting their hands stung by a mishit pitch. And trust me, I’ve had those before.
- Ultra-Thin Handle
- The ultra thin composite handle allows players to grip the bat strongly by allowing them to wrap their knuckles around the bat easier. This is a plus for smaller hitters that don’t have long fingers.
- HyperSkin™ Grip
- The Hyperskin Grip for great comfort and feel. Works in conjunction with the handle to allow players to exert greater force, speed and control over their swing.
- 2 5/8″ Barrel
- USSSA 1.15 BPF Certified
Overall, this is a power hitter’s bat through and through. The enhanced sweet spot, extra-long barrel, incredibly hot composite construction and the sting dampening connective piece – it’s a perfect recipe for an aggressive power swing.
Great for those who are willing to take their baseball careers seriously and elevate their game to the next elevate.
Warning: can be pricey.
The Louisville Slugger Omaha 515 has classified itself as one of the fastest bat speeds within the realm of senior league bats. It’s a one piece alloy construction bat fully designed for speed, balance and control over the plate.
This bat is only really rivaled by a handful, namely the CAT 6 and the VELO which are extremely quick bats as well.
The bat speed the Omaha produces is made possible by maintaining an incredibly low moment of inertia and keeping the balance point centered within the bat.
As the barrel comes around the hitting zone, players can actually feel the barrel of the bat become lighter and a lot easier to control and manipulate. This is great when adjusting to off-speed pitches or taking the ball the other way, which makes it a great bat for those hitting at the top of the lineup.
Either way, here we found eBay’s Best Price.
Let’s get into the specs.
Louisville Slugger Omaha 515 Bat Technology
- ST+20 alloy
- One of the strongest alloys in the game, the ST+20 is strengthened with the passing of time and as the bat is worn in.
- Comes extremely hot right out of the wrapper and is ultra responsive.
- One of the few alloy bats that can really produce tons of power and pop at the plate. It’s what’s made this bat one of the most popular amongst players.
- 2 5/8″ barrel
- 7/8″ Tapered Handle
- USSSA 1.15 BPF Certified
- Low M.O.I
- Like I stated before, the low moment-of-inertia is created by optimizing the balance of the bat.
- Bats with higher M.O.I such as the Mako XL tend to have slightly slower bat speed and are harder to control. For instance if you were to try to stop mid-swing.
Overall, this is a great bat for lighter hitters looking for blazing bat speed, ultimate control and optimal balance. Awesome for pushing the ball the other way or pulling an inside pitch down the line.
Very versatile bat.
The Easton S3 big barrel bat is a one piece fully aluminum bat composed of some of the strongest alloy in the industry. It comes with a low M.O.I design as part of the Speed (S) series by Easton for maximum bat speed, balance and control through the hitting zone.
Ultra thin handle with a 2 5/8″ barrel for optimal grip strength and wrist mobility while increasing power and plate coverage. This bat is great for players such as myself who focus on hitting the ball hard and love to control the barrel and ultimately where the ball ends up.
It keeps the center of gravity of the bat in the center. What this does is makes it easier to control and the bat and speeds up the swing; whereas if this bat had an end-load the barrel would feel heavier and be harder to control (e.g. stopping the bat mid-swing).
This kind of bat is most similar to the likes of the Omaha or the CAT 6.
Here you can find the Best Pricing Option on the internet.
Easton S3 Bat Technology
- Hyperlite Matrix Alloy Barrel
- Comes extremely hot right out of the wrapper and ready for game use. Stiffens with time and becomes even hotter, made for elongated durability and extensive use.
- Alloy bats tend to also produce more bat speed than composite bats due to their strong nature. Easton can keep the barrel walls very thin while maintaining optimal strength.
- Gives players more bat speed, control and balance.
- Ultra-Thin 29/32 inch
- Very thin handle for stronger grip and wrist mobility. Great for snapping your wrists through the hitting zone very quickly and directing the ball where you want it to go.
- 1.2 MM HyperSkin™ Grip
- One of the most comfortable grips in the game hands down.
This bat is great for lighter hitters such as slap hitters who like to let the ball get a little deeper in zone and then leverage the bat speed this bat produces to hit the ball where they want it to go.
The barrel is very easy to manipulate and control, so it’s definitely a great bat to put ’em where they ain’t. Not so much for power hitters looking to do some yard work.
The Easton XL3 is the one piece alloy construction version of the XL series by Easton. It’s established itself as one of the best senior league bats around.
The trick with this bat is that because it’s a one piece alloy, the bat is designed with a Easton XL3 in mind which increases bat speed exponentially but thanks to the XL factor, the plate coverage players are able to receive with this bat is phenomenal.
Easton has converted the XL into now the Easton Mako XL in which it doubles down on that last aspect (plate coverage).
By virtue of its nature, the Mako already has an enlarged barrel – now add to that the XL factor and you get a very large sweet spot.
The caveat, though, is that the Mako series does not yet have an alloy bat so lighter (contact) hitters might suffer in the bat speed department if they do make the switch.
Visit: Best Pricing Online
Seeing as this bat is a one piece animal, there won’t be much to talk about in the next section. But either way, let’s break down the main components of this beast.
Easton XL3 Bat Technology
- HyperLite Matrix Alloy Barrel
- Alloy barrels come hot right out of the wrapper with little to no breaking in period. This is great if you’re buying a bat for the upcoming season and can’t sit around waiting for it to be game ready.
- Also, the HyperLite Matrix Alloy strengthens as time passes. This means that as you start getting comfortable with the bat, its performance also improves simultaneously.
- Extra-Long Barrel
- The USP (unique selling point) of the XL series is its extra-long barrel.
- This element allows players to enjoy a greater amount of plate coverage and an enlarged sweet spot. This is great for power hitters as Roger Maris said in the movie 61*:
- “The difference between a fly out to right field and a home run is one eighth of an inch on the barrel of the bat”.
- The XL Barrel gives players this advantage over pitchers.
- Ultra-Thin Handle
- The ultra thin handle is great for players that love to grip the bat strongly with their knuckles. I’ve personally found this helps with in freeing up movement for my wrists.
This is a great bat for lighter hitters looking for more plate coverage in their swing without having to compromise their bat speed. The one piece alloy construction and the low MO.I. design aid tremendously in generating tremendous bat speed while the XL helps in adding the plate coverage.
Overall, great bat.
The Marucci Hex is a peculiar alloy senior league bat with incredibly low M.O.I designed for lightning fast bat speed, greater control and optimal balance.
It’s very similar to the CAT 6, however, the CAT 6 does not come in anything lower than a -8, as such the Hex was brought to the world in order to serve the younger crowd.
We scoured the internet and were able to track down Amazon’s Best Price Listing which you can click to through that link.
But without further ado, let’s kick into some of the specs of this bat.
Marucci Hex Bat Technology
- Ring-free AZ4X Alloy Barrel
- It’s already a well known fact that alloy barrels come extremely hot right out of the wrapper.
- In addition to that, the AZ4X strengthens with time and hits. As such, as players begin to use it for practice, in-game or what have you – not only will comfort increase (by virtue of using the bat) but also the bat will stiffen and become stronger.
- The durability will also be elongated and the bat will have a longer life span.
- One-Piece Alloy Construction
- This bat maintains an incredibly low moment-of-inertia and thus produces incredibly bat speed by being a one-piece alloy construction.
- What this means is that not only will players be able to control the bat better through the hitting zone, but also exert greater bat speed through it.
- A low M.O.I is produced by maintaining the balance point of the bat in the middle so players feel the weight of the bat to be lower despite its actual mass. Whereas, a bat that has an end-load and thus a higher M.O.I. will feel heavier and harder to control (or stop mid-swing) due to its having the balance point shift towards the barrel during the swing.
- Maximum Barrel Length
- This bat’s barrel is maximized in order to give players a larger area of coverage during their swing.
- An enlarged barrel along with a very low swing weight index makes for an incredibly hot bat, and also very easy to make hard solid contact with.
- Ultra-soft micro-perforated comfort grip
- This bat features one of the most comfortable grips in the game. Nuff said.
Overall, a great bat for any players looking to maximize their hitting potential. Honestly, best for lighter hitters looking for maximum bat speed and optimal plate coverage at a great price point.
The 2016 DeMarini Voodoo Raw was one of the most highly awaited bats this year and it’s one of the hottest senior league bats in the market. DeMarini did a great job with their marketing department in hyping up the release of this bat.
As such, it was then awaited with some lofty expectations.
And DeMarini accustoms to – it did not disappoint. The 2015 DeMarini Voodoo was critically acclaimed and received plenty of praise from players, parents, coaches and critics alike.
Used by many of the top baseball programs across the nation, the Voodoo series is greater for players looking for fast bat speed, maximum strength, pop and increased durability.
It’s a two piece hybrid construction bat, part alloy and part composite, with a 2 5/8″ barrel, a drop 5 weight / length ratio is USSSA 1.15 BPF Certified.
Visit: (Best Pricing Options)
With that said, let’s crack into the bat specs.
DeMarini Voodoo Raw Bat Technology
- X12™ Alloy Barrel
- An improvement from last year’s X10 Alloy which creates for a stronger and much stiffer bat.
- Following last year’s success, DeMarini didn’t focus so much on improving mechanical aspects of the bat, but rather doubling down on the successful aspects of this bat.
- What this means is that you won’t see many new changes in the overall “physique” of the bat, rather you will notice major improvements in its performance and technology.
- ThermoFused Taper
- Again, refining its “Flame Tempered” treatment, DeMarini focused on improving the energy maintenance within the bat to allow players to enjoy greater hitting success by improving their comfort and feel at the plate.
- This process now reduces further vibration and sting so players can attack with power without having to worry about the annoying bat sting of a mishit ball.
- D-Fusion 2.0 Handle
- Again, last year’s D-Fusion handle saw a major improvement this year in protecting the hitter’s hands as well as providing a strong levels for players to pull the bat with.
- Low Pro End Cap
- Not much changed here, it stills gives players a very smooth and balanced swing for optimal hitting performance.
- Its job is to create comfort, feel and balance at the plate while working in conjunction with the handle and the barrel of the bat. Last year this piece performed very well, so there haven’t been any major changes as of yet.
- RCK™ knob
- The RCK Knob was slightly improved from last year’s version in order to fit players’ hands even better. This also adds to the comfort and feel of the bat.
As of today, the Voodoo Raw is by far one of the most potent bats by DeMarini. Rivaled only by a select companies such as Easton and Slugger.
This bat will be a great purchase for anyone who’s willing to take their baseball career seriously.