We all know your softball / baseball bat can make a huge impact on your game. Let’s analyze the best for each category:
PS. In this page I will be outlining the best softball bats of 2016 and will continue to update it as new ones are released every year.
But without further ado, let’s crack right into it.
Best Fastpitch Bats
The top 3 fastpitch softball bats for this year are the following:
- Power: DeMarini’s known for producing incredibly hot bats and it’s been a market leader for a long-time. Appropriate to tradition, it should surprise no one that the CF8 is widely regarded as one of the hottest bats around. The bat speed and the construction of this bat make for one hot stick that’ll send balls over the fence with ease.
- Comfort: Using the D-Fusion 2.0 handle, DeMarini has taken a conscious approach to improving comfort at the plate. Now players can attack the ball aggressively while the fused handle helps to eliminate all vibration and bat sting.
- Performance: Overall, one of (if not the) hottest bats out there, the CF8 is an easy choice for anyone serious about their softball career.
For cheapest price:
- Bat Speed: Due to the Mako’s low M.O.I design, this bat is able to produce massive bat speed through the hitting zone. This helps in not only in power production but also in the ability to recover from mistakes such as timing or being fooled on pitches. A low swing weight aids players in making more solid contact from the ball by making the bat easy to manipulate.
- Plate Coverage: The Mako series features an enlarged barrel as part of its inherent design. For this reason, players able to enjoy some more plate coverage and a little more breathing room for mistakes. This also helps tremendously in producing hard hit balls all over the field.
- Comfort: The Connection Piece at the middle of the bat is one of those key elements in the Mako. It keeps the vibration and sting of contact away from the players’ hands and redirects it into the barrel of the bat at contact to produce more energy and force.
While I didn’t make it one of the points above, this bat does produce tremendous power and is one of the cheaper premium bats out there as well.
For the best option:
- 4-Piece: One of the best things about this bat is the fact that it’s a 4-piece stick. The only one of its kind. It maintains a low swing weight, and produces great power at the plate. The orange color is a nice plus, as it’s highly distinguishable even from a distance.
- Power: This bat produces a crazy amount of power at the plate. Not only due to its bat speed, but also because of its construction. It’s a double-wall stacked barrel (much alike DeMarini) with a connective slug in the middle that produces a trampoline effect at contact to shoot balls into the stratosphere.
- Bat Speed: As alluded to before, this bat maintains a low M.O.I (moment-of-inertia) which creates crazy speed through the zone. It does so by maintaining a balanced swing weight and makes it easier for players to control easily.
This is a great bat for anyone looking to do some real damage, and look damn good while doing so as well.
For best price:
Best Softpitch Bats
Miken Freak 30
- Power: If you’re looking into soft-pitch bats then power should be your only concern. So here it is, plain and simple – the Freak 30 rakes. Period. It’s an absolute bomb-dropper, end of story. This is by far one of my favorite bats out there, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to smash some windshields this season.
- Bat Speed: Another major component of power produced at the plate is bat speed, and how quick the bat tears through the zone. This bat feels a little top heavy, but it still flashes through in a hot second. Look no further than here.
- Comfort: Not as important as the other two but I figured I might add it. With the Freak 30, there’s a great reduction in the vibrations produced at contact so you can swing with great confidence at the plate.
The reason I say the Freak 30 trumps the Z4000 Powerload is because of the bat speed produced. Although if you enjoy bats with a 1.5 oz end-load, then go right ahead with that one. For the best Freak 30 price option:
Note: Approved in NSA, USSSA, and ISA. (No ASA stamp)
Louisville Slugger Z-4000 End-Load
- Power: The Z-4000 is widely recognized as one of the top power-producing bats around. Slugger continues to come out with bats that shatter performance numbers all across the board. The Z-4000 is no different. You can’t go wrong with this bat if your main objective is to launch balls into the moon; you just can’t.
- Comfort: Extremely comfortable bat, the grip texture that Slugger uses is top notch lizards skin that is widely used throughout the majors by the likes of Big Papi and Manny Ramirez.
- Performance: Very versatile bat and can produce power to all fields. Approved for play in ASA, USSSA, NSA adn ISA.
Elevate your game with a Z-4000, for best pricing:
Louisville Slugger Softball Bats
Louisville Slugger is a national bat production powerhouse. They produce some of the most top performing bats in all areas – whether it be wood, bbcor, youth or softball. Within their line-up of softball bats is the 2016 Louisville Slugger Z4000. The Z4000 is of pure 360 composite, TRU3 construction and it also features S1iD Technology. It comes in 4 different styles – The ASA End Load & Balanced version as well as the USSSA End Load & Balanced version.
However, it also has the “Backman Shoppe Powerload” version which is purely designed to drop bombs. This is a feature that the Louisville Slugger Z3000 line does not have. You can see it pictured below:
It is also a 3-piece construction bat with an added 0.5oz extra to the end load. It has a 12 inch barrel and is USSSA, NSA and ISA approved. This bat is definitely recommended for anyone who wants to add some extra feet to their hits, I know I need them.
Next up is the Louisville Slugger XENO.
This is a fastpitch bat so it’s slightly different from the ones I mentioned above. It is a 2-piece construction bat and 100% composite design. It does not have the TRU3 connection that the Z-Line has which is meant to reduced sting and feedback at the point of contact, instead it comes with the iST technology which serves a different purpose.
It’s a lighter swing weight and features thinner, but more strengthened walls. The S1iD feature added to the XENO is meant to create a larger sweet spot within the bat through the use of an aluminum inner disc that creates for a very hot bat right out of the wrapper. Players and coaches everywhere are raving about it so it’s definitely a great bat and I highly recommend it.
You can check out a more in-depth review by clicking the link above.
With that said, let’s move on to one of the most popular brands in the market and a heavy player favorite:
DeMarini Softball Bats
Without a doubt, DeMarini is arguably the most popular brand in the industry. They continue to dominate the market with their innovative technology and continue to produce some of the most highest-performance bats around. Their CF series is a heavy player favorite as well as the Vendetta & Juggernauts.
DeMarini started out as a softball bat company, with their leader – Ray DeMarini being one of the most respected figures in the sport. So it should come as no surprise that they produce some of the best bats around.
One such example is the 2016 DeMarini CF8 Fastpitch bat which was one of the most awaited releases all year. It comes with the Paradox +Plus technology which is designed to make for a lighter barrel with more “pop” to launch balls screaming all over the outfield. The Stacked Double Wall Construction works in conjunction with the D-Fusion 2.0 handle to reduce the sting and feedback of the bat at the point of contact and then redirect this energy back into the ball. A technology that has been gradually improving with the release of the DeMarini CF7 Fastpitch.
An extremely powerful piece of work. It also features a Low-Pro End Cap which allows players to experience a much smoother and balanced swing.
The DeMarini Vendetta is another one of DeMarini’s fastpitch bats that’s a heavy player favorite. The Vendetta comes with the Paradox Barrel technology that makes for an ultra-responsive barrel. It also has the D-Fusion Lite Handle which we talked about earlier which eliminates bat sting and transfers energy back into the ball. This bat is approved for play in the ASA, USSSA, NSA, ISA, ISF.
Since we’ve been talking about DeMarini’s fastpitch line-up primarily, let’s do a slow-pitch one:
The DeMarini Juggernaut is somewhat different from the ones we’ve talked about here. It features a stacked composite design with an end-loaded triple wall barrel which is made for launching jacks over the fence. The barrel is 12″ long with the TR3 F.L.O handle technology to reduce sting and transfer energy into the barrel at the point of contact to create a springboard-like effect and add a couple extra feet to your hits.
The End Cap is then designed to provide players with a much smoother and balanced swing. Overall, a great power-hitter’s bat that’s going to help take your game to the next level by allowing you to launch balls way farther than ever before.
Miken Freak Softball Bats
Miken has been producing some of the most popular bats in the softball world today. For example the 2016 Miken Freak 30 is an incredibly hot 2-piece construction slowpitch bat that comes with the Triplex Max Core technology to enhance performance and elongate bat durability through an innovative carbonizing process that increases the aerospace material volume by 5% – the stuff that makes it all happen.
It also comes with the Flex 2 Power (F2P) handle technology which is designed to optimize the flex of the handle to provide hitters with improved control, and exert greater bat speed through the hitting zone.
While this is a relatively newer bat and there yet has to be a consensus about its performance, we can safely say that it’s going to be by-far one of the hottest bats to come out in 2016 without a doubt.
On that note, the Miken Freak 12 is another bat that is just disgustingly hot. Although it does have a smaller sweet spot due to the barrel size, it is extremely hot right out of the wrapper and the 0.5oz extra end-load is bound to make you do some yard work often. The bat is also hot right out of the wrapper and needs very little breaking into. You might need to adjust to find its sweet spot more often but once you do, you’ll be good to go.
Worth Softball Bat(s)
The Worth Legit is a freak of its own kind. It’s a composite 4-piece (!!) double-barrel piece of monstrosity that’s designed with the user’s experience in mind. It offers comfort, power, flex and a drastic elimination of sting through the four piece construction.
It features a 360° end-cap to emphasize a balanced swing and a composite taper to establish durability and enhance hitting performance for players.
It’s also approved for play in the ASA,USSSA, NSA, ISA, ISF. And the orange color really makes it stand out ala Brian Wilson.